Bereavement & Volunteer Coordinator
Responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing all volunteer and bereavement program activities for the hospice program. Work as a member of the hospice team in providing hospice care. Responsible for implementing and supervising the volunteer and bereavement program for the delivery of related services.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop and maintain volunteer training and orientation program.
- Recruit, educate and select volunteers.
- Establish a need for volunteer services with the patient and family/caregiver and the entire hospice team.
- Supervise and evaluate volunteers in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Maintains monthly statistics.
- Maintains current personnel files for volunteers.
- Reevaluate the volunteer and bereavement programs as necessary.
- Coordinator support/education meetings.
- Attends interdisciplinary group meetings.
- Provides information to individuals and community groups about hospice volunteer and bereavement services.
- Participates as needed in the budget preparation for program development.
- Actively participates in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities.
- Accepts and performs other related duties and responsibilities.
- Design materials for distribution to families of eligible for and/or receiving Hospice bereavement services.
- Plan and implement bereavement group events.
- Oversee bereavement follow-up by patient care staff and volunteers.
- Conduct the bereavement section of the IDG.
- Maintains bereavement and volunteer resources libraries for the community and staff.
- Oversee the bereavement services program utilizing professional staff and volunteers.
- Coordinates and oversees all bereavement mailings.
Must be able to work independently, make judgments based on assessments and data available, and act accordingly. Must be flexible, innovative, and possess good interpersonal skills. Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Basic computer skills
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to meet deadlines, work under limited supervision.
- Ability to supervise, coordinate, and evaluation, bereavement and volunteer services.
- Understand hospice philosophy.
- Ability to organize and develop volunteer hospice personnel for both patient and organizational needs.
- Ability to manage a group of individuals providing volunteer time who will be considered employees.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Motor Vehicle driving record satisfactory to the agency and its insurance providers.
- Proof of motor vehicle insurance.
Education, training, and experience
- College degree in health or human services-related field.
- Minimum of two years experience in a related field preferred.
- Experience or education in grief or loss counseling.
What makes Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay unique?
Founded in 1982, Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay is a faith based, not-for-profit, Life Plan Continuing Care Community to serve older adults of all beliefs, their families and the broader community.
Our waterfront community, located on the southern shore of Chesapeake Bay in Virginia Beach, in a beautiful, resort-like setting, provides innovative and comprehensive services designed to offer independent living, assisted living, and nursing care solutions.
Our employees, residents and guests carry out our mission daily: Creating community to foster joy and well-being. We maintain a close and friendly culture for our staff and residents by adhering to our Values of achieving excellence by giving and expecting:
RESPECT for each Person.
PASSION for what we do.
PROFESSIONALISM in all we do.
Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status. Candidates are screened, in accordance with the Code of Virginia, with the State Police criminal background check including sex offender crimes. All new hires are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Screen and receiving the flu shot.
DAY ONE BENEFITS FOR ALL FULL-TIME HIRES!
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Same Day Pay-Get early pay access through UKG and get paid without waiting for your paycheck!
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Assistance Program
- Excellent Advancement Opportunities
- Identity Theft Plan
- Legal Resources
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Scholarship Program for Employees/Family Members
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Six (6) Paid Holidays
- Team Member Discounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- On-Site Gym, Salon, Clinic & Pharmacy
- No Agency use for any clinical positions
- Bus Passes
- Monthly Toll Allotment