High Tension Technician
The High Tension Technician will work as part of the Campus Services Electrical Distribution Group. The position is involved in all aspects of testing and calibration of the installation, operations, metering, and maintenance of Harvard University's low- and medium-voltage distribution systems, to ensure safe and reliable delivery of electric power to the campus.
- The candidate must have a Massachusetts Journeyman's license for a minimum period of five years; extensive experience in various aspects of testing, operating, inspecting and calibrating relays, metering equipment, medium and low voltage power circuit breakers and switches, switchboards, 5kv and 15kv cable and various types of power distribution and control transformers in existing and new installations.
- Proficiency in equipment operation and controls, system grounding, infra-red scanning and maintenance of utility- type (up to 15kV) distribution systems and ancillary equipment; up to and including underground manholes and ductbanks.
- Experience in the installation and maintenance of miscellaneous low voltage electrical systems and equipment and of electric motors and starting equipment and of electric motors and starting equipment.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- The candidate must have experience in preparing technical test reports; reading and interpreting plans, specifications, operating manuals and other written materials associated with this operation.
- Working knowledge of NETA acceptance and maintenance specifications.
- Must be able to work independently and take initiative when necessary, as well as capable of working as a member of a team in conjunction with other trades.
- Must observe and comply with all standard safety codes and practices, and perform work in accordance with regulatory and university standards.
- Must be able to routinely communicate with peers and customers, in a clear and professional manner.
- The candidate must be familiar with OSHA regulations concerning electrical safety and those concerning lockout/tagout procedures and work in confined spaces.
- All training courses concerning safety, operational, testing, grounding, and maintenance practices completed by the candidate must have been conducted by an organization recognized by the University as a qualified authority.
- The candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- The candidate must be available to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime hours, that include extended hours outdoors, in inclement weather.
- Required to supply a complete set of hand tools.
- Should be willing to use own vehicle throughout the campus.
Certificates and Licenses
- Must have a valid MA state drivers license and have a satisfactory driving record.
- MA Journeyman's License
- The candidate must be physically fit and able to climb staging and ladders, lift manhole covers, and maneuver power circuit breakers.
- The candidate may be required to bend, reach, and hold position for extended periods of time.
- Occasional heavy lifting and considerable walking, climbing, and stooping are involved.
- The candidate must be capable of wearing a full body harness for confined space work.
Work Format: On Campus
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Work Format Details
This position is based primarily on-campus, in Massachusetts. This may include in-person during emergency situations (if applicable). Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. Certain visa types may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off
- Health and Welfare
- Work/Life and Wellness
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Commuting and Transportation
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
258005 High Tension Technician
Energy & Facilities
41 - Int Br Electrical Wkrs Loc 103
Hourly Rate and/or Rate Range
Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Employment, Identity, License/Cert.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.