Group Fitness Trainer
Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay is currently hiring an Exercise Aquatic Specialist.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Experienced and able to teach and coordinate programs for land and water based exercise, for both individuals and groups in multiple modalities. Assist the Aquatic and Fitness Coordinator with planning and implementation of a comprehensive fitness program that integrates current wellness and issues congruent with the Wellness philosophy of the community.
- Instructs land and aquatic-based exercise programs, with modifications as needed
- Prepares classes for exercise and aquatics programs that meet the identified needs of residents and to the extent possible, staff members.
- Identifies fitness levels, progression, and regression, through various assessment and exercise testing procedures.
- Provides a safe environment for pool and fitness room users through proper maintenance of equipment and areas that follow the City code set forth by the Health Department
- Tracks, records, and reports resident participation in classes, pool and fitness room usage
- Promotes interest and increases participation at classes and programs through ongoing evaluation.
- Assists with health education classes/workshops for residents and staff, utilizing internal and external resources.
- Reports resident health concerns to appropriate staff.
- Trains new Fitness Center participants and assists with resident participation files.
- Works with Therapy Department to help residents when finishing rehabilitative services.
- Provides direction for volunteers working in pool and fitness areas. Trains class leaders to oversee class in the absence of staff when needed.
- Assists with special events and works closely with other departments to ensure coordination of community-wide events.
- Serves on inter and intradepartmental teams to promote the wellness philosophy throughout the community.
- Expected to support and demonstrate the Mission and Values of the community
- All other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
- A degree in Exercise Science/Physiology, Sports Medicine, Therapeutic Recreation, Athletic Training or other related field or 5 years ‘plus experience in this field.
- Holds current certification to perform CPR, and demonstrates the ability to perform lifesaving techniques and initiate the emergency response system.
- Knowledge of geriatric population and suitable/appropriate knowledge of physical capabilities in geriatrics. A love of working with the geriatric population.
- Must have experience teaching a variety of water-based and land-based fitness classes.
- Currently hold an instructor training certification and/or personal trainer certification from ACSM, NASM, NSCA, ACE, or any other NASM recognized organization..
- Must be knowledgeable about the appropriate use of fitness equipment.
- Ability to get along well with others
- Able to teach a minimum of three classes daily. This would include active participation as well as effectively leading the participants.
- Able to tolerate the warm temperatures in the pool area; able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Must be able to function in a high paced team environment
What makes Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay unique?
Founded in 1982, Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay is a faith based, not-for-profit, Life Plan Continuing Care Community to serve older adults of all beliefs, their families and the broader community.
Our waterfront community, located on the southern shore of Chesapeake Bay in Virginia Beach, in a beautiful, resort-like setting, provides innovative and comprehensive services designed to offer independent living, assisted living, and nursing care solutions.
Our employees, residents and guests carry out our mission daily: Creating community to foster joy and well-being. We maintain a close and friendly culture for our staff and residents by adhering to our Values of achieving excellence by giving and expecting:
RESPECT for each Person.
PASSION for what we do.
PROFESSIONALISM in all we do.
Check us out on Facebook: @WCBayCareers
Westminster-Canterbury on Chesapeake Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status. Candidates are screened, in accordance with the Code of Virginia, with the State Police criminal background check including sex offender crimes. All new hires are subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Screen and receiving the flu shot.
DAY ONE BENEFITS FOR ALL FULL-TIME HIRES!
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Same Day Pay-Get early pay access through UKG and get paid without waiting for your paycheck!
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Assistance Program
- Excellent Advancement Opportunities
- Identity Theft Plan
- Legal Resources
- Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Scholarship Program for Employees/Family Members
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Six (6) Paid Holidays
- Team Member Discounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance
- On-Site Gym, Salon, Clinic & Pharmacy
- No Agency use for any clinical positions
- Bus Passes
- Monthly Toll Allotment