Temporary Part-time Patrol Officer
Motlow State Community College
Morristown, TN, USA
Leadership / Executive
1 - 2 Years
Job Title: Temporary Part-time Patrol Officer
Campus Location: Morristown Campus (Employees are assigned to a “home” location but may occasionally or regularly be required to work at other WSCC locations.)
Job Purpose: The Temporary Patrol Officer supports students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors by monitoring activity on campus for the purpose of maintaining peace and enforcing laws and supports the college by ensuring a safe educational and work environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs foot and vehicle patrols of campus to preserve the peace and enforce the rules and regulations of the college, state, federal and local laws, directs and manages vehicular traffic, secures and unlocks campus areas as needed.
- Responds to calls for service; investigates motor vehicle incidents, criminal offenses, and non-criminal incidents; and takes appropriate law enforcement or investigative action. Monitors and reviews security camera recordings to assist in investigations and to ensure safety for the campus community.
- Conducts investigations of crimes or incidents committed or occurring on campus; seeks out and questions victims, witnesses, and suspects; develops leads and tips; searches crime scenes; analyzes and evaluates evidence; arrests offenders; prepares cases for giving testimony and testifies in court and disciplinary proceedings.
- Assists students, faculty, staff, and visitors as needed and otherwise protects and serves. Assists with emergency planning for the campuses. Participates in emergency management and safety training and coordination. Conducts safety equipment checks as assigned. Maintains Tennessee P.O.ST certification by attending training as necessary. Attends additional training as required and needed for the college and department.
- Develops and maintains a positive and professional rapport with local emergency response agencies representing the college and department in a professional manner.
- Prepares and maintains various reports and records as required.
- May perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
- High school diploma.
- Must be currently Tennessee P.O.S.T certified
- Must meet or exceed the minimum standard requirements as per TCA 38-8-106.
- Official background check is required prior to a job offer being made.
- Knowledge of city, county, and state laws and court proceedings.
- Knowledge of effective methods of investigation and police/security work.
- Ability to operate law-enforcement equipment.
- Ability to meet institutional and local area requirements related to arrest authority and weapons use.
- Possess a basic knowledge of computer equipment and Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Associate’s degree or higher in Criminal Justice Technology or related field.
- At least two years of law enforcement experience.
- Knowledge of campus policies and campus jurisdictional areas.
- Conducts themselves in a mature and professional manner with a positive and helpful attitude.
- Avoids becoming insubordinate, participating in gossip and other conduct unbecoming of an officer.
- Maintains a high level of integrity and honesty.
- Works effectively as team member to achieve goals and objectives.
- Shares information readily with other officers and administration and listens effectively, showing openness to new ideas
- Treats team members with dignity and trust and shows respect for others’ race, nationality, gender, age, background, perspectives, experience and style. Willingly responds to requests for assistance from team members.
- Displays a high degree of personal effectiveness; pursues objectives with consistent determination. Willing and prepared to accept personal responsibility for actions, both positive and negative.
- Supports changes that advance the college’s mission.
- Exercises discretion and forethought in the efficient utilization of organizational resources.
Does not have any supervisory responsibility.
Most work is performed without direct supervision; however, this position reports directly to and receives supervision from the department Sergeant, Captain and/or Chief.
Environment & Working Conditions: Work is completed in a variety of different settings including indoor and outdoor. Incumbent is regularly exposed to different weather conditions including extreme heat and cold, rain, wind, etc. Some work is completed in a temperature-controlled office setting with good lighting.
Physical Demands (including requirements for travel or working nights/weekends/holidays):
- Requires frequent and significant movement by foot and patrol car.
- Requires use of hands, eye, and finger coordination, must be able to handle and operate various types of police equipment to include firearms, Taser, handcuffs, baton, operation of communication equipment and/or other job tools.
- Must be able to complete required training, including mandatory annual P.O.S.T training.
- Must be able to wear a ballistic vest
- Requires occasional reaching with hands and arms, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, jumping, walking, running, and crouching.
- Must occasionally lift or move up to 100 pounds.
- Requires close, distance, and peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Requires working different shifts, some holidays, and some weekends.
Posting Closes: On Going Posting
Years of experience
- 1 - 2 Years