Research Associate I - Mellon College of Science (MCS) - Biological Sciences, Rule Lab
he Department of Biological Sciences within the Mellon College of Science is seeking a full-time (37.5 hours) Research Associate I to work in the laboratory of Dr. Gordon Rule.
The Rule Lab focuses on structural biology with a focus on drug discovery https://labs.bio.cmu.edu/rule/.
The lab uses a combination of recombinant DNA technology, protein expression in bacteria, protein purification, NMR spectroscopy, and protein crystallography. We seek a highly motivated individual with strong organizational and communication skills to help with the day-to-day operations in the lab.
In this role you will be responsible for purification and characterization of proteins for high-throughput screening and NMR spectroscopy and assisting in the characterization of purified proteins and inhibitors using enzyme kinetics.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining laboratory plasmid collections
- Transformation of E. coli cells
- Cell growth for protein production, including generating special growth media
- Protein purification and characterization by gel electrophoresis and basic enzyme kinetic measurements.
- Measuring the effectiveness of potential inhibitors using basic enzyme kinetics.
- Purification of Oversee general laboratory maintenance.
- Oversee ordering of consumables.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Candidates should demonstrate:
- Prior experience in basic laboratory skills, e.g. making solutions, adjusting pH, etc.
- Strong oral and written communication, including the ability to write short summary reports
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within Mellon College of Science. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
- Education: Bachelor degree in biochemistry, biology, or related field.
- Experience: 1-3 years of laboratory experience.
- Successful background check
- Child protection Clearances/Act 153
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply today!
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance