At Carnegie Mellon University, Facilities Management and Campus Services (FMCS) defines our core activities through stewardship of university facilities and happiness of our customers. In order to carry out these strategically important activities, we focus on the areas of technological enhancement, process improvement, quality assurance, and collaboration.
Carnegie Mellon University's department of Facilities Management (FMS) is searching for a 2nd Shift Receiver. Hours/Shift: 3:00pm – 11:00pm (Monday thru Friday) however subject to change based on department need(s).
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment.
In this role you will perform various material handling functions to receive, store, select, distribute, inspect and reconcile all incoming and outgoing packages, and prepares packages to be shipped out by common carrier. Candidate will do data entry into a computer or assigned logbooks, maintain accurate records, take orders from customers over the phone, fax, and e-mail, and charge inventory items (janitorial supplies, bulk paper or stationery supplies) to customers and label packages for destination. You will assist with the organization and storage of university property in the warehouse and pulled items from storage and prepare them for delivery to campus. In the absence of the truck driver this position may be required to fill-in and be responsible for driving all types of vehicles operated by the department of University Receiving & Stores for pickup and delivery of materials. Duties include loading, securing and unloading vehicles. This position will assist with physical counts of warehouse material.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license (or equivalent for out-of-state applicants) no moving violations to operate 25' long cargo truck with either manual or automatic transmission
- One year experience in receiving and delivering packages
- Evidence of the ability to read and comprehend basic instructions and legibly ad related to tasks performed.
- Ability to read and decipher written instructions, packing lists, addresses, purchase orders, numbers; ability to operate pallet jack, dollies, forklift and other storeroom equipment
- Ability to effectively communicate to others, to work with numbers and understand math
- Ability to understand and follow appropriate handling, storage and safety requirement of stored products; computer literacy and familiarity with computerized inventory systems to keep accurate records and to understand and follow
- Ability to perform heavy labor move and work in confined spaces, up and down ladders and to work from ladders and scaffolding
- Travel to jobs over a 100+acre campus with many hills and stairs
- Ability to lift 40 pounds from ground to overhead. Move or lift up to 70 pounds
- Occasionally work outside during inclement conditions
- Must be a member of, or agree to join Local #95 International Union of Operating Engineers
- Must be able to work effectively both as an assistant to others and able to perform clearly defined tasks with minimal supervision. Must be able to deal with difficult people effectively
- Willingness to work shifts, overtime, and call-out work
- Background check + MVR
- Valid PA driver's license
- Fitness for duty assessment and pre-employment medical exam
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
You should have strong communication skills, be able to work effectively with other craft employees, and professionally manage interactions with challenging customers. Additionally, you must be able to work independently and make appropriate decisions as to when additional help is needed to correct issues.
This position will require flexibility in working various shifts, overtime and call-out work. You will need to be able to work outside during inclement conditions and with sanitary waste in a safe and effective manner.
Flexibility, perfection, and passion are vital qualities within FMCS. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, you should be able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Job FunctionNon-Craft Trades (L95)
Position TypeStaff – Regular
Full Time/Part timeFull time
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance