Property Maintenance Worker
Energy & Facilities (E&F) operates and manages Harvard’s energy supplies, district energy plants, and utility infrastructures on the Cambridge/Allston campuses, as well as 24/7 facilities -related call, alarm monitoring and dispatch center. E&F provides a broad portfolio of labor-based services, including building maintenance, landscaping and custodial to a large portion of the University, as well as engineering, technical, and sustainability services. Facilities Maintenance Operations (FMO) a department within E&F, offers primary building maintenance, landscape, fire safety, custodial and event support services to Harvard schools and departments on a fee-for-service basis. All services are provided in strict accordance with regulatory requirements and customer-determined standards.
Performs all aspects of landscape maintenance, including, but not limited to organic and conventional care and maintenance of turf, shrubs, annuals, snow removal and litter pickup throughout campus.
- Performs ongoing maintenance of landscape systems, including: aeration, fertilization, renovations (seeding and sodding) of turf; and routine maintenance of walkways, roadways, and irrigation systems.
- Performs mowing and edging of turf areas in accordance with established standards.
- Assists in the planting and maintenance of the annual and perennial gardens and display containers.
- Performs routine maintenance of walkways, roadways, and drainage systems.
- Performs all aspects of leaf and snow removal services, including, but not limited to operating plow trucks, skid loaders, snow throwers, salt spreaders and hand shovels.
- During off-season, assists with clean up and maintenance of building, shops, mechanical rooms, utilities distribution tunnels, including debris removal, furniture moving and event support.
A minimum of one-year experience in landscape installation and maintenance, including primary turf maintenance and snow removal techniques required.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Must be able to properly operate a variety of equipment and tools including, but not limited to: hand mowers, leaf blowers, and various snow removal equipment (e.g., salt spreaders, snow plows, and throwers).
- Must be quality focused and able to communicate effectively with peers and customers, clearly and professionally in English.¿
- Must possess and maintain the following as a condition of employment: a valid state driver’s license and satisfactory driving history; a Massachusetts hydraulic hoisting license; and a medical examiners certificate of health.
- This position has restrictions on time off requests during winter months and is frequently required to work overtime for snow removal and other emergencies and to support University events.¿
Certificates and Licenses
- A valid state driver’s license and satisfactory driving history
- A Massachusetts hydraulic hoisting license
- A medical examiners certificate of health
- Ability to perform outdoor work for prolonged periods of time, often during inclement weather conditions.
- Frequent climbing, bending, stooping and reaching, occasional work in restricted spaces and frequent carrying/transporting heavy loads up to 50 lb.
Work Format: On campus full-time
Emergency Status Designation:Critical Operations Personnel
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Work Format Details
This position is based primarily on-campus, in Massachusetts. This may include in-person during emergency situations (if applicable). Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. Certain visa types may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off
- Health and Welfare
- Work/Life and Wellness
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Commuting and Transportation
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
290000 Property Maintenance Worker I
Energy & Facilities
FMO Landscape Services
42 - Int Un Oper Engineers Loc 877
Hourly Rate and/or Rate Range
Credit, Criminal, DMV, Drug Testing, Employment, Identity, License/Cert.
Scheduled days off: Saturday & Sunday
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.