Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
Lone Star College was recognized in eight areas: Professional Development; Mission & Pride; Supervisor/Department Chair Effectiveness; Confidence in Senior Leadership; Faculty & Staff Well-Being; Shared Governance; Faculty Experience; Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester. LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art technology and active, collaborative learning.
Location address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road, Cypress, TX 77433.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Student Assistant performs standard administrative duties for multiple individuals or customers. Activities are routine and may be repetitive. Basic duties may include receiving and logging information, making copies, sorting and distributing mail, preparing correspondence or basic documents, answering routine questions and inquires, providing information and directions and providing a customer friendly environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operates a variety of office equipment, such as a personal computer, printer, photocopier, facsimile, scanner, or calculator
- Opens, sorts, and distributes mail for one or more managers
- Performs clerical tasks related to job responsibilities and departmental projects, including but not limited to typing and proofreading letters, memorandums, forms and reports
- Maintains and files department documents
- Assists with distribution of information to the public, students and faculty by phone, mail, or other appropriate means
- May provide support to assigned area during college representation functions
- Maintains confidentiality of all records and databases associated with assigned area
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to gain knowledge of the rules and procedures of the college
- Ability to maintain good relationships with the public, students, faculty and staff
- Show a professional presence in dress, speaking, handwriting, and use of personal cell phone during working hours
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be a currently enrolled Lone Star student pursuing a course of study
Hourly Pay Rate is $7.25.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.