Library Digital Technology Specialist
Harvard Medical School
The Library Digital Technology Specialist is a hands-on position responsible for supporting digital technologies at Countway Library, Harvard Medical School. These include multiple computer workstations, classrooms, digital projects/exhibit areas, and online/web interfaces that the Countway Library serves to both our internal staff and external patrons.
As a member of the Publishing & Data Service team, the Library Digital Technology Specialist will provide support, training and consultations to assist staff, faculty and students in the context of the many digital projects, local computer/AV hardware, and online tools that Countway Library offers. Exploring, recommending, and implementing new applications and technologies that enhance the end-user experience for Countway Library patrons will be central to this role.
The Library Digital Technology Specialist will also ensure quality assurance testing of Countway’s online products and in-house AV/IT equipment. Success in this role will entail frequent collaboration and cross- training with HMS campus AV and IT representatives, as well as the broader Harvard Library Technology Services units.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Troubleshooting advanced level AV and/or computer-related problems within the Countway Library, including hardware, software, online services, database access and web interfaces that the library delivers to Harvard faculty, staff, students, and hospital affiliates.
- Assist external and internal stakeholders with providing technical documentation, training objects (videos/presentations) and training workshops for Countway supported digital technologies.
- Ensure public facing computer workstations, software updates/patches, and security applications, are configured to provide library patrons the optimal user-experience.
- Provide project support to create/maintain online exhibits, digitizing projects and digital scholarship initiatives as coordinated by the Publishing & Data Services unit.
- Support 3D printing requests and coordinate workflows, training, and materials, including inventory, maintenance, and object delivery.
- Perform regular software/hardware inventory and assessment; update library web pages to reflect digital services available to library patrons (both on-site and remote-access).
- Troubleshoot digital signage solutions. Generate custom content for digital exhibits.
- Assist in the updating of FAQ knowledge base, online documentation, and triage questions via “Ask
- Countway” ticketing system.
- Provide appropriate communication to end-users and stakeholders regarding support, changes, outages and updates that impact Countway specific digital technologies, including situations that may stem from Harvard Library Technology Services unit and/or campus-wide HMS-IT admin.
- Working on special projects as assigned.
4 or more years of experience. Higher education may count towards experience.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Self-starter with experience in supporting public facing computer labs, digital technologies and website management.
- Knowledge of Drupal CMS and awareness of best practices in meeting ADA Online Digital Accessibility preferred.
- Three or more years related experience in relevant technology training both online and in-person. Solid experience with supporting Windows and Mac based computers.
- Familiarity with digital photography, podcasting, videocasting, and Adobe Creative Cloud apps.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and an enthusiasm and empathy for working with a broad array of users who’s experiences will range from technical neophyte to “presumed-expert”.
- Proficiency in operational and maintenance support for library/education technologies. Experience with web design, user-experience assessment/survey tools, and Google analytics is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with data visualization tools.
- Experience editing and creating multimedia content and other learning modules using authoring tools (Camtasia; Adobe Premier Pro, Panopto) is beneficial.
- Prior experience in supporting information technology and familiarity working within an educational environment is desirable.
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to keep in touch and learn about future opportunities! (https://www.gem.com ?formID=16341e35-cbc6-4904-88a3-09b35763307e)
Work Format Details
This position is based primarily on-campus, in Massachusetts. This may include in-person during emergency situations (if applicable). Additional details will be discussed during the interview process. Certain visa types may limit work location. Individuals must meet work location sponsorship requirements prior to employment.
We invite you to visit Harvard's Total Rewards website (https://hr.harvard.edu/totalrewards) to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Boston
403123 Info Tech Support Associate II
Countway Library of Medicine
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
35 hrs. per week | Monday - Friday | 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
LinkedIn Recruiter Tag (for internal use only)