Historic Site Interpreter
Evansville, IN, USA
Title: Historic Site Interpreter
Division: Provost's Office
Department: Historic New Harmony
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $13.78/hour
EEO Job Group: 5 E5
The University of Southern Indiana is accepting applications for Historic Site Interpreter.
This position will engage visitors, provide information and materials related to the history and amenities of New Harmony; lead guided tours through historic buildings and sites while interpreting the history and significance of New Harmony; assist with educational programs and historic demonstrations; operate audio-visual equipment for presentations; staff facility rentals and specialty events; open and close buildings.
- Provide an outstanding visitor experience to all quests by welcoming and orienting them to Historic New Harmony and the town of New Harmony.
- Engage visitors in conversation and assess their goals, existing knowledge and accessibility needs for their visit. Provide visitors with appropriate and accurate information to the history and amenities of New Harmony accordingly.
- Lead walking, tram, golf cart, and step-on bus tours through historic buildings and sights, interpreting the history and significance of New Harmony to a variety of audiences, including individuals, families, school groups, and tour groups.
- Open and close designated historic buildings. Secure sites and report maintenance problems to the Experience Coordinator.
- Operate audio-visual equipment in support of presentations.
- Assist with educational programs and historic demonstrations.
- Attend staff meetings and training workshops.
- Assist with training new employees.
- All other duties assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Ability to complete Historic New Harmony Training Program required.
- Good customer service skills required.
- Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills required.
- Have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. Must have a minimum of one year’s licensed driving experience.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals required.
- Must be adaptable, open to change and to considerable variety in the workplace.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in delivering public programs preferred.
- Experience with computers, word processing, and email software preferred.
Regular Work Hours/Travel Requirements
- Standard work hours are part-time and may vary on a weekly basis. Hours are limited to 28 hours per week. Visitor Centers hours of operations are Tuesdays through Sundays (closed on Mondays), 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., March 1–December 23.
- Occasional weekend hours required.
- Occasional evening hours may be required.
Click “Apply Now!” near the top right of this page to complete an application and upload application materials. Application materials should include:
- Cover Letter
A background check will be required for employment in this position.
Authorization to Work in the United States
USI typically will not sponsor an employment-related visa for this position.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please contact the manager of Employment at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 464-1840. Contacting the manager of Employment is intended for use in seeking disability-related accommodations only. For general applicant inquiries, contact Human Resources at HumanRes@usi.edu or (812) 464-1815.
The University of Southern Indiana is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.